What is engagement?
Simply put, it’s the total number of interactions an audience makes on your posts such as likes, saves, shares, and comments.
These metrics show how interested your followers are with your content as they talk about your brand or share your posts. It will also help influence who is going to see your post.
So, why does engagement matter?
Instagram’s algorithm aims to create a great user experience – that’s why it keeps track of users who have engaged with your posts to decide who else gets to see your posts.
The higher the engagement, the higher the exposure your posts to more users, increasing your brand awareness, raising your influence & widening your potential customer base.
Sound like something you want?
Then check out these 5 tips to improve your engagement on Instagram today.
1. Create savable content for your feed.
What type of content can you create that your audience may want to refer back to later?
Think about information packed and resourceful posts that are full of valuable tips that your audience may want to refer back to in the future.
A couple of ideas include:
– Carousel posts – An Instagram carousel is a post with multiple photos or videos that can be viewed by swiping or clicking left. Up to 10 images or videos can be added and shared as a single post on the feed (like this one).
– Infographics – A collection of imagery, charts, and minimal text that gives an easy-to-understand overview of a topic.
– Using long & descriptive captions – Just like adding line breaks to your bios, it can be a great idea to add line breaks to longer captions and break up a giant wall of text. Simply create your caption in the notes app on your phone, then paste it into the caption box on Instagram.
– Quotes – A lot of businesses post quotes on Instagram to achieve their specific marketing goals, like driving more sales and building brand affinity.
– Tips & hack style graphics
2. Create shareable content for your feed.
Connecting with your current followers on Instagram is essential, however it is also essential to be discovered by a new audience. A lot of people do not know about the potential of shareable content on Instagram.
Infographics, fun memes, relatable quotes, or interesting facts are typically shared amongst audiences privately in their inbox. With this type of content, you can go viral, grow exponentially and build an audience that goes beyond your own.
3. Be authentic.
Open up with your audience and share the honest, real & vulnerable side of yourself or your business. Sharing the bad, the struggles along with the wins will build trust and create relatability with your audience.
A couple of ideas include:
– Behind the scenes content – Tell the real story behind making your wine or the hard work that goes into putting together a wine event.
– Post the selfie over the curated photography – People put their guard up when they see perfectly curated photography, try to keep it down to earth instead.
– Add a personal touch to your captions – Whether it’s humour, or anecdotes, let your personality shine in your writing and don’t hold back by being “professional”.
4. Post more.
If you are not getting enough engagement, you are probably not creating enough engaging content. Ask questions, use the story feature & make videos to bridge the connection with your audience. The more you post, the more chances you’ll have at creating something that resonates and sees success!
Needing some help with consistency? Check out the Crush @ Social Story Challenge for 14 days worth of Story Prompts, sent straight to your inbox!
5. Include a call to action.
This is a basic tip, but it works! Use words in your call to action that cause impact and create urgency, like “watch, start, discover, try, learn & shop now”. If you’re not telling your audience what to do, it’s likely they don’t know where to go and won’t do it!
Before deciding on your strategies with Instagram, keep in mind your goals for using this particular platform as it will help you make the right business decisions.
Whether you are looking to boost brand awareness, increase revenue, drive website traffic, get consumer feedback and insights, or build a loyal following for your business, increasing engagement will be a key ingredient for any of these.
Follow these 5 tips I’ve shared with you above and watch your engagement soar in the next few weeks.
Looking for more help with your Social Media Strategy?
Check out the free threebie bundle made just for wineries & wine businesses looking to improve their business goals using digital methods.
1. The best times to be posting on Social Media
2. What platforms to use for B2B versus DtC business
3. The content that creates the best conversions